27 September 2011

remember this?

Well, before it was finished, the client changed her mind. That's OK, it was only ever a test piece for a rather unusual commission and I hadn't poured too much of myself into it to be disappointed. In fact I think it could look stunning in our entry which is in similar tonings and needs a lift. The chunky, spartan look matches the strength of the structure of this building somehow. I put it aside to work on at my leisure, contemplating another piece to put with it in the foyer. However, today she asked me to finish it, add some green, and bring it back to her. OK... but now that it is heading in a different direction I am not sure about it myself. Let's see how it develops!
...and, some time later in the afternoon, I think it's close to "done". A few things to balance up, a few highlights, and I will be reasonably happy with it. It is not painted in "my usual style" but as the client prefers. I can still see my hand in it well and truly though!


*****
In the meantime, we have agreed on the composition for the second version, which was put aside when the heat got to me (at least 38 degrees in the studio every day). I have started sketching it in. The white is acrylic gesso building up some texture to add a little life to the extensive plain background. The overall painting needs to be dark to work in the space where it is to go.

Today I am grateful for generous clients.
.

No comments: