24 September 2011

watercolourwarmup

Another festa today, but I am home early. I lasted over five hours, and could have had a 6 euro meal and waited for the band to start playing but I'd really had enough by 8.30pm. Today was the celebration of volunteers, and our art group had a stand there. I now take something to paint at these events so I am not sitting wishing I were home in the studio, counting the hours as they pass.

This afternoon I took watercolours with me, as I think it is time to declare my passion even though I earn my living painting in oils and acrylic. I think that this little one is sold, when I finish a few details. (Photographed on my laptop to give you an idea of the size - and because that's where the lamp is!) The scene is a simpliflied version of what I could see from our position by the fountain.
Anyway, I toddled along dutifully and ended up having a thoroughly good time, chatting to old and new friends and even joking in Italian. That has to be progress, right?

*****

Apparently I was on TV again this morning. I am yet to see any of the programmes I am in (there were three, and I was interviewed in two of them). This one was shown last night then repeated this morning according to the lady who said that she had been watching me this morning. I am really ambivalent about seeing them; curious to know how the programme is put together, and how a stray Kiwi appears amongst the Italians, and happy to avoid the cringe factor which must come with seeing me bumbling along trying to explain concepts way beyond my vocabulary range. It's a magazine type programme featuring food, wine, art and music.

*****

Yesterday a villager offered to give me a two-dog lead. I didn't see him today, but tonight when Zacchi walked me I put his lead under Pickle's collar and had only one to hold on to. That way they can't get me tangled up. Little by little we are making progress. Zacchi is a dream to walk, but Pickle has a nose for cats and is not nearly so easy.

*****

My laziness about shopping has lead to a new recipe. I still haven't made it to the vege shop, so it was soup made out of what was left today. Onions, pumpkin, frozen champignon mushrooms, some tomato puree, vegetable stock cubes and seasoning. When it was ready I grated in some parmigiano and to my amazement it was very good! It looks a bit suspect, a bit like a witch's brew possibly, but the flavour was just fine! A sprinkling of fresh parsley would have just topped it off nicely.

Today I am grateful for my place in this community.

No comments: