28 September 2011

westering

"Westering Home" lyrics and chords are here. The Scottish song was written by Hugh S. Roberton (1874 - 1952). You can hear The Corries version of it on Youtube, or you might prefer the lovely Scottish burr in this version which also has interesting images.

I wonder who coined the word "Westering"? (Heading west, reliant on the winds, I think). Presumably it refers to the times of great trade with the East... adventure and riches lay to the East, but West (home) was best!

I'm an Antipodean East Coaster myself, but find myself completely discombobulated (yes I like that word) living here in a valley on the western side of the divide, with shadows and compass bearings not where I think they should be. Perhaps I was a failed homing pigeon in another life?

Now back to work Kay, that was enough of a distraction between subject matters. Now to paint some hydrangeas and candles for a fireplace, and after that a landscape to complete, two name paintings to finish and a whole new series to start (and finish before the end of October!)

Yikes... runs to put the kettle on...

No comments: