6 October 2011

i love what i do

Remember how my client was delighted? Well, I wasn't. I liked the painting, and was really happy that she really loved it, but I wasn't satisfied that I had done what I set out to do.

Together we agreed that some of the colour needed to be cut back in context. I was fairly sure that I had got carried away with the painting and lost sight of the bigger picture (and it became a bigger picture), which is why I gave her the chance to change something in it.

We decided that I should cut down the big candle (it was arguably too close to the top after I had gone outside my measurements and therefore would have to trim the work) and change the brighter colours to less obvious ones. The pink in the callas also had to go as the pink didn't really suit the room and when given the chance to change it she opted for a more muted red in the generic flowers as well. I thought also, but didn't say, that the objects were just a little too big in the space.

Remember, this is is more like a piece of furniture than a painting, as it will form part of the fireplace installation. It should enhance but not dominate, as the main feature in my opinion is the beautiful wooden mantle-piece above it.
I came home to change it... and couldn't bring myself to do it. Soooo... I pulled an "almost all-day and all-nighter" for two days and the result is below.

Now you can play spot the difference...
and I promise NO MORE photos of this one, you must be really sick of it now!

Now, do I admit to her that this is a different painting altogether? :-) And, ethically, is it all mine as we decided on the composition together? (And should I have even posted any photos of it on the blog without her knowledge or permission?)

A lot of artists wont do commissions, and I admit that pleasing the customer isn't always easy. But if I have to do them, and I do, then I want to "do them" to the absolute "best" I can. If I have a happy client AND I am proud of the painting, then that's job satisfaction a lot of people would love to share!

1 comment:

nicola said...

I like playing spot the difference. (: