25 September 2013

tail end charlie

I did speak at the meeting, towards the end. Now I am thinking, "If only I had spoken earlier" - it seems that I can't get it right! Earlier I had a clear head, and more confidence. Towards the end when it was my slot I had an awful headache, the room was hot, and I was clock-watching to make sure that my two hours of parking had not expired. I hadn't made notes, my head was spinning from following two hours of Italian on diverse topics and from many different speakers, and as time went on I lost my nerve.

The only other nervous person there was my young friend waiting to speak for their association. She, at least, could be nervous in her own language.

I liked to be tail end Charlie at cubs, and often find great pleasure in stepping back and giving way to others. But when it comes to speaking to a room full of Italians all waiting to promote their own causes perhaps I should book an earlier slot to speak.

On reflection, I didn't do what I do before the Legato opening which is really the only other place I have to speak in public. There I make myself calm by reminding myself that I am only the messenger, and the words are important, not the person delivering them. Today I was tired and a bit stressed, and did not prepare myself well. The chairman, when I apologised for my short and hasty delivery later, was kind enough to say that what I said was absolutely clear and there was no problem.

Now to rest, get all coffee'd up, and go to pick up a friend at Fiumicino airport. Tomorrow is always another day... the scary thing is how full it is looking already! It's full house again, and overflow in another apartment. It's a lot of work, but there will be some fun to be had too.

Today I am grateful for safe drivers. 

2 comments:

Teacake said...

> I make myself calm by reminding myself that I am only the messenger, and the words are important, not the person delivering them.

Really nice. I like that a lot.

> The chairman... was kind enough to say that what I said was absolutely clear and there was no problem.

That's great. Take him at face value!

> Now to rest, get all coffee'd up,

Yay coffee!

Today, after reading three variously unconfident and discombobulated posts in a row, I am grateful for all your gratefulnesses.

n xx said...

Boyo Boy!